Demi Lovato: Living in the Spotlight Is a 'Blessing and a Curse'




10/29/2012 at 10:40 AM EDT



The X Factor judge Demi Lovato says being on television is both a but the exposure has allowed her to use her celebrity to help others who have battled problems such as anorexia, bulimia and bipolar disorder.

"Just as much as it sucks to have tabloids writing about you, at the same time I had all these issues and I was able to raise awareness because I came out publicly with those issues and then I have tons of fans that come up and tell me, 'Oh, I got help with my eating disorder or this because you came out and said it,' " Lovato, 20, recently said at the Billboard/THR Film & TV Music Conference.


"Had it not been for the publicity and the tabloids or whatever it was, they may not have had a chance to save their own lives," Lovato said of the silver lining her own struggles have brought to her and also fans.


In addition to judging The X Factor , now in is second season on FOX, Lovato brought her own musical skills to game four of the World Series Sunday, where she sang the National Anthem in Detroit.


Despite an even higher profile since joining The X Factor, where she sits alongside creator Simon Cowell, Britney Spears and L.A. Reid as judge, the former Disney star said she's tried to stay away from allowing tabloid gossip to impact her life.


"I feel like I went through a period in time where I was reading things about me online and as much as it built me up it also plummeted me down and the negative things I believed them, too," Lovato said of coverage. "The word 'celebrity,' I just cringe when I hear it."






No comments:

Post a Comment