Taylor Swift: I Don't Know How to Make Relationships Last



12/07/2012 at 06:00 PM EST



Taylor Swift's love life is well documented – in her songs and in the press – but the singer says she still has a lot to learn about romance.

Asked what she doesn't know about relationships, the singer, who has recently been linked to One Direction heartthrob Harry Styles, tells British Cosmopolitan , "How to make them last."


"I've never had a really long relationship, so I have no idea what that's like," says Swift in the January issue, on newsstands Friday. "Wish me luck for the future!"


But Swift, who turns 23 next week, says she does know what she's looking for in a long-term partner – a good guy.


"I really don't have any rules about dating when it comes to height, age, career choice, anything like that," Swift, who has dated every-type from Conor Kennedy, 18, to John Mayer, 35. "It's really more about strength of character. When it comes to age, I've been all over the map."


Even though she is still figuring out how to find the right guy, she takes something away from every relationship and learns what not to do – usually.


"I think that idea of love I hope for is that you learn a lesson and you don’t have to learn it twice," she says. "But the song "I Knew You Were Trouble" is about when I knowingly made the same mistake twice. I couldn't resist it – there's that temptation to push yourself into a risky situation with someone who is going to hurt you, and that's what that song is about: not trusting your own instincts and ignoring all the red flags."


Taylor Swift: I Don't Know How to Make Relationships Last| Couples, Harry Styles, Jake Gyllenhaal, John Mayer, Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift


Matt Jones / Cosmopolitan




Though Swift is known for writing about her personal life, she says she tries to hide the identity of the men she uses as inspiration for her songs.

"I put details in my songs but never first and last names – and I definitely don't include social security numbers!" she jokes.






No comments:

Post a Comment