Ben Affleck on Refusing to Wear a Yankees Hat in Gone Girl: 'It Was a One-Man Riot'




10/03/2014 AT 06:00 PM EDT



As Ben Affleck well knows, there are some things die-hard Red Sox fans simply won't do.

Cheering Derek Jeter at Fenway during his very last game? OK. Wearing a Yankees hat under any circumstance? Never!


Even in the name of art.


So, when esteemed director David Fincher politely asked the Oscar-winner to don a Yankees cap for a scene in Gone Girl , the actor had no choice: He had to say no.


"I said, 'David, I love you, I would do anything for you,' " Affleck, 42, told the New York Times . "'But I will not wear a Yankees hat. I just can't. I can't wear it because it's going to become a thing, David. I will never hear the end of it. I can't do it.' And I couldn't put it on my head."


The Boston native and die-hard Red Sox fan said he and Fincher squabbled over the topper while filming a scene in which Affleck's character attempted to avoid recognition inside a New York airport.


"That was the only fight David and I had," Mr. Affleck said, "and it was a legitimate fight."


Affleck recalls Fincher tried to insist he wear the hat – "he said it was like it's foregone, it's destiny" – but Affleck stood his ground.


"It was an uprising; it was a coup, I rioted," Mr. Affleck said like a true member of Red Sox Nation. "It was a one-man riot against the Yankees."


After much "shuttle diplomacy, so much back-and-forth," the pair came up with the only logical conclusion: Affleck wore a Mets hat.


"This was very Switzerland," Affleck said of the compromise.


Gone Girl opens Friday in theaters nationwide.






No comments:

Post a Comment