Biggest Loser's Emmy Lou Munoz: How I Got My Family to Eat Healthy




10/04/2014 AT 02:30 PM EDT



When Emmy Lou Munoz left The Biggest Loser Ranch, she knew her biggest hurdles wouldn't be her diet and exercise, it would be her family.

"I knew talking to my mom was going to be essential. She is a big part of my life " Munoz, 32, tells PEOPLE of her mother, who she believes unknowingly instilled poor dietary habits on her as a child. "But when I got home, she was extremely ready to help me in any way possible."


Munoz – a substitute teacher from Woodson, Texas, who arrived at the ranch for season 16 of the weight-loss reality competition weighing 260 lbs. – says her mother has learned to incorporate healthier options like egg whites and turkey bacon into the Saturday morning meals she hosts weekly.


But not everyone at home has been as eager to jump on the weight-loss bandwagon.


"My daughter is 10 years old, and for 10 years we have eaten horribly," Munoz says of her daughter, who she says gets teased in school because of her weight. "And as a child, it was hard at first. It was like taking away her favorite toy."


While it did take a while, Munoz says her husband, daughter and 7-year-old son have all "made the adjustment," and the family is learning about nutrition and taking trips to the park together.


And the adjustments are continuing to work for Munoz as well.


"Now, I can see 'One-derland' in my sights," Munoz says, referring to what the contestants call the milestone of coming in under 200 lbs. "It could happen any day now. I am just so excited."






No comments:

Post a Comment