Michael Phelps Is Taking 'Time Away' After DUI Arrest




10/05/2014 AT 12:20 PM EDT



Less than a week after his second DUI arrest, Michael Phelps has decided to seek treatment.

On Sunday, the Olympic swimmer, who was pulled over by police for going 84 mph in a 45 mph zone on Tuesday, posted a series of Tweets letting his followers know that he is taking a time out to concentrate on himself.


"The past few days have been extremely difficult," Phelps, 29, Tweeted.


"I recognize that this is not my first lapse in judgment, and I am extremely disappointed with myself. I'm going to take some time away to attend a program that will provide the help I need to better understand myself."


He added, "Swimming is a major part of my life, but right now I need to focus my attention on me as an individual and do the necessary work to learn from this experience and make better decisions in the future."


After failing a field sobriety test last week, Phelps was taken to a Baltimore police station and charged with driving under the influence, excessive speeding and crossing double lane lines.


"I understand the severity of my actions and take full responsibility. I know these words may not mean much right now but I am deeply sorry to everyone I have let down," he Tweeted shortly after being released.


Phelps was first arrested for DUI in 2004. With 18 gold medals, he is the most decorated Olympian ever.






No comments:

Post a Comment