Halle Berry Is Drawn to Her 'Strong, Complicated' Role in CBS's Sci-Fi Thriller Extant


People Exclusive


04/07/2014 at 09:00 AM EDT



Halle Berry is coming to a TV near you – and she can't wait.

The second-time mom, 47, recently told PEOPLE "some of the best writing is on television right now," and she hopes people will see some of that in her latest project, Steven Spielberg's new CBS sci-fi thriller, Extant.


"It is like the new golden age of television," she said. "As a woman, when I read this, it was such a strong character. I always gravitate toward strong, complicated woman characters. When I heard Steven Spielberg is a part of it, I thought, wow, that is another big reason to be a part of it."


And it doesn't hurt that the show films in Los Angeles.


"I really wanted to work in town and be with my kids," she said. "I no longer can afford to have the gypsy life. There are others who are more important and who I need to think about. This allows me to stay home and still do something really creative and cool that I love."


"So far, it is a lot of work. It is long days, but at least I'm in the city where my kids are so I can see them and they can come visit me. I can tuck them in at night. I can see them every weekend."


Speaking of her little ones, at this point, it isn't looking like her older child Nahla, 7, is itching to be center stage.


"Sometimes she comes up with stuff and I am like, that was pretty good," Berry said. "But no, she hasn't got the acting bug. She isn't even really sure what acting is. She thinks I am a real life princess that is what she tells her friends."


"She sees me when I say, 'I am going to work,' and I am dressed up and wearing fancy dresses so she says you are a real princess why else would you be dressing up like that for work?"


The show's executive producer Mickey Fisher tells PEOPLE, "I don't know Halle's secret to balancing her work and her family. To me, it's like watching someone do a magic trick, because she makes it look so easy. I've offered to be 'the manny' if she ever needs a hand, but so far she hasn't taken me up on it."


After all, it's Berry who likes to be the one taking care of others.


"It could be the end of a long week of shooting and she brings an In & Out truck to the set," Fisher says. "That generous spirit makes a huge difference.”


Extant premieres on July 9 at 9 p.m. ET.


Related Video: Nine Years Ago: Halle Berry Makes History






No comments:

Post a Comment