Miley Cyrus Dishes On Getting Over Liam, Disney and Depression


Style News Now

04/08/2014 at 08:30 AM ET




Miley Cyrus Elle coverPhotographed by Michael Thompson for ELLE


Miley Cyrus, 21, has been asserting her independence through various means for some time now. She’s cut her hair, lost her pants, ended things with her fiancĂ© and taken off on a wild world tour. And, she says in the May issue of Elle magazine, all this rebelling is starting to pay off.


In an interview with 17-year-old Rookie magazine editor (and fellow widely-watched teen) Tavi Gevinson, Cyrus explains that she’s grateful for growing pains in leaving Disney and ending things with fiancĂ© Liam Hemsworth, because it helped her get to where she is today.


“When I was with [Liam] or when I was on Disney, the thing that gave me the most anxiety was not knowing what to do with myself when Disney wasn’t there to carry me anymore or if I didn’t have him,” she said. “And now I’m free of both of those things, and I’m fine. Like, I lay in bed at night by myself and I’m totally okay, and that’s so much stronger than the person three years ago, who would have thought they would have died if they didn’t have a boyfriend.”


PHOTOS: What did your favorite stars wear last night? See and vote on their styles!


Miley Cyrus Elle coverPhotographed by Michael Thompson for ELLE


Cyrus also cops to battling depression in her adolescence, saying, “It’s totally okay to feel sad. I went through a time where I was really depressed. Like, I locked myself in my room and my dad had to break my door down. It was a lot to do with, like, I had really bad skin, and I felt really bullied because of that. But I never was depressed because of the way someone else made me feel, I just was depressed.”


Now her fans thank her for being candid and helping them get through their own struggles, and, she says, “That gives me a big purpose — a reason to wake up in the morning that’s bigger than to put on my f—ing feathers and my little outfits.”


For lots more from the star, including why she’s advancing the cause of feminism (spoiler alert, it has to do with crotch grabbing), check out Elle.com or the new issue of the mag, on stands April 22. What do you think of Cyrus’s most recent thoughts on life? What makes you stronger?


–Alex Apatoff






No comments:

Post a Comment