Daniel Radcliffe: Why I Avoid Twitter and Facebook




11/21/2013 at 03:00 PM EST



Daniel Radcliffe enjoys his privacy, and to help maintain it, he keeps away from social media and movie premieres for films that aren't his own.

"There's certain things you can make a lot easier on yourself," Radcliffe, 24, tells the U.K.'s Sky News. "If you don't, for instance, go to premieres that aren't [for] a film you're in, or don't just turn up at other events and stuff like that, then that's obviously gonna help to not fuel [interest]."


Radcliffe adds that when celebrities regularly divulge details of their lives on Twitter, it makes their requests for privacy seem less genuine.


"Also, I don't have Twitter and I'm not on Facebook, and I think that makes things a lot easier because if you go on Twitter and tell everybody what you're doing moment to moment, and then claim you want a private life, no one's going to take that request seriously."


Radcliffe has learned to manage his fame over the years, admitting that it used to upset him.


"When I was 18 or 19, there was definitely a level of frustration around. ... I did have to think where I went more than a lot of my friends, and you do get a little frustrated around that age. But ultimately it's childish, petulant," he adds.


"People always say to me, 'Do you feel like you missed out on a childhood? Do you feel like you had your childhood taken away?' And I'm like, 'No, that's ridiculous, kids who are abused have their childhoods taken away from them," the actor explains.


Radcliffe costars with John Hamm (who himself also stays away from Facebook) in the new miniseries A Young Doctor's Notebook. The actors play the same character at different stages of his life even though there's a considerable height difference between them – Daniel is 5-foot-5 and John is 6 feet tall.


"Jon is actually really small, he just wears heels," Radcliffe joked.






No comments:

Post a Comment