Bumped Olympic Skater Mirai Nagasu: I'm Devastated and Confused




01/31/2014 at 06:00 PM EST



It's been a few weeks since figure skater Mirai Nagasu was left off the U.S. Olympic team headed to Sochi, and she's still finding it hard to come to terms with the controversial decision.

The 20-year-old, who competed at the 2010 Olympics, was passed over for the third spot on the team in favor of Ashley Wagner, even though Nagasu gave one of her best performances ever at the U.S. championships on Jan. 11, while Wagner fell twice.


"Not being chosen to represent the United States at the Olympic Games in Sochi and at the 2014 World Championships in Japan has been extremely disappointing to me, and it has been very difficult for me to process," she wrote in a Facebook post on Thursday.


"Not being selected to this year's team was devastating and I remain confused by US Figure Skating's decision to not select me for the 2014 Olympic or World teams," she continued.


But the skater insists that while she is down, she's not out.


"Once I have time to fully process the impact of these decisions, I do know it will renew a fire inside of me," she writes. "My Olympic journey does not end here. I will continue to work hard, to train and grow and improve as a skater and realize my dream of once again representing the United States at an Olympic Games."


A Twitter firestorm erupted after Nagasu didn't make the team, and Wagner was clearly affected by the criticism she received from some commenters. "It's touch to filter out the good things you hear and the awful things that people will write," she said, explaining that she'd "decided to give up social media."


Hopefully she will see this message of support from Nagasu, who wished Wagner and her teammates "the best of luck."


"Representing your country at the Olympics is one of the biggest honors and best experiences in an athlete’s life, and I hope they all do well and have a great time," Nagasu wrote. "I will be watching and cheering them on."






No comments:

Post a Comment