Sarah Jessica Parker Is Baffled by the 'Cruelty' of Women Today




02/27/2014 at 09:40 AM EST




Sarah Jessica Parker Is Baffled by the 'Cruelty' of Women Today


Sarah Jessica Parker


Bill Davila/startraksphoto.com



Whatever happened to the Carries, Samanthas, Charlottes and Mirandas of the world?

Sex and the City ended its run on HBO a decade ago this week. But to Sarah Jessica Parker, its depiction of female friendship already feels quite dated.


"It's kind of surprising to say, but in a way [Sex and the City] was a more innocent time," the actress, 48, tells the April issue of British Harper's Bazaar .


"I think so much reality television – and the women that dominate culture today – are pretty unfriendly towards one another. They use language that's really objectionable and cruel and not supportive. I like to remember that Carrie and the other women in Sex and the City were really nice to each other."


Though the show was risqué for its time, Sex and the City's core relationships were earnest and sincere.


"She was a really good friend," Parker says of Carrie Bradshaw. "That's why [women] can forgive those very apparent flaws and selfishnesses. She was a deeply devoted friend, and I think women really respond to that kind of connection. I think we all want it, we all work towards having it, and we're not always the very best friends we can be."


It's not just women who can be cruel, either. Parker says she tries never to read anything about herself online because of all the trolls.


"I don't Google myself. Good God, no! I have absolutely no constitution for that," she says. "I'm curious about everything, except what people have to say about me. It's the random cruelty I really don't understand. It's not good for us. I don't know, you know, how we go back in time to a better place."


Parker also touches on her 16-year marriage to Matthew Broderick. Asked what the secret is to a happy marriage, she recalls something Gwyneth Paltrow's late father Bruce once said.


"I'm almost scared to tell you," Parker says, "but someone asked how he stayed married all these years and he said, 'We never wanted to get divorced at the same time.' Now everyone will think there was a period at which we did want to get divorced. But you stay married because you want to be there, despite everything. I don't know, it seems like it's just as deserving of effort as anything else is, certainly a career. I guess we both want to be in it."






No comments:

Post a Comment