Winona Ryder's Style Bombshell: 'I've Worn Dresses to the Oscars That I Got for $10'


Style News Now

02/28/2014 at 09:00 AM ET




Winona Ryder Red MagazineMax Abadian/Red


Winona Ryder was a red carpet staple at the Academy Awards in the 1990s (she was nominated for back-to-back awards in ’94 and ’95). And while most stars work with a stylist and undergo several fittings to find the perfect dress for their Oscars moments, Ryder reveals that she took a totally different approach.


“Most of my wardrobe is vintage, and I’ve worn dresses to the Oscars that I got for $10,” Ryder tells the U.K.’s Red magazine in its April issue. “Sean Penn’s last Haiti gala, I wore this vintage dress that I’d worn to a film premiere in 2005. I know that’s kind of a no-no in the fashion world, but why wear something just once if you love it?”


And though she’s partial to vinage finds in her everyday life, she looks equally comfortable in high-fashion ensembles, sporting a statement-making Louis Vuitton top, a structured Saint Laurent tux and an embellished John Rocha dress and Miu Miu jacket (below) for her shoot with the magazine.


RELATED PHOTOS: The best vintage Oscar pics


Winona Ryder Red MagazineMax Abadian/Red


Fashion choices aside, the 42-year-old actress also gets candid about a tumultuous time in her life. “My early thirties were rough. I went through stuff that I would have gone through, and probably should have gone through much younger, but I had spent my twenties working,” she explains. “Even when I was the right age for older roles, people thought of me as being younger. It was tough because I’d had so much success in my early twenties.”


For more of Ryder’s interview, click here. And tell us: What do you think of the star’s style mantra? Can you believe she wore $10 dresses to the Oscars?


–Brittany Talarico






No comments:

Post a Comment