What Will Johnny and Tara Wear to the Oscars? Get a (Hilarious) Sneak Peek


Tara and Johnny OlympicsRalph Oshiro (3)


The Sochi Olympics ended less than a week ago, but figure skating commentators (and BFFs) Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski have moved on. Now they’re giving commentary on another big event that involves lots of sparkles and a high potential to fall: the Oscars!


Weir, 29, and Lipinski, 31, along with fashion correspondent (and Style Council member) Louise Roe, are teaming up with Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush to critique what people are wearing on the biggest night in film. And obviously, one can’t comment on other people’s ensembles without a great look of one’s own. On Wednesday, PEOPLE joined the two Olympians, as well as the Access team and photographer Ralph Oshiro, at West Hollywood’s Decades vintage boutique as they tried out three potential looks for Sunday night.



“People ask us if we have nerves leading up to Sunday, but I think we were so traumatically scarred competing in the Olympic games, where we had four minutes to make or break it, that everything from this point on — commentating and doing fun stuff like this — is pretty tame [compared] to that,” Lipinski said in a brief break between dressing room visits.


Echoed Weir: “It’s icing. I don’t think we’re nervous at all. I think we’re just so honored and privileged that America wants more from us. We came back from Russia and there was a snowstorm of just wonderfulness.”


And if the nerves do kick in, the pair has a simple little routine they call a “goody” that helps them get through anything. “I give Tara a little triple tap on her booty and that’s our good luck thing,” Weir explained. “Some people rub noses and some people slap hands. I slap her on the [butt].”


Of course, essential to any true Johnny and Tara moment is some major fashion. Below, check out three of the looks they’re considering — and tell us which is your favorite.


RELATED: Everything from the Oscars that you could ever want to know — all in one place!


Look 1:

Weir’s first look was a chic Yves Saint Laurent suit and an Alexis Mabille necklace. “I love anything with a ruffle. I love the jacket. It looks like the fur of a baby lamb,” he said. And although he was “packed in like a sausage,” he still felt good.


Lipinski, clad in Galanos, said she selected the dress because she loved the jewels along the bodice and she felt “very American Hustle,” adding, “I love the way it falls. I feel like anything with my back out [is flattering].”


Look 2:

The second look was Weir’s favorite. He could not get enough of the high-waisted, zippered Tom Ford pants, which he said he planned to run out of the store with and “would challenge anyone to stop me. I’m obsessed with them,” he said, explaining, “They make me feel good, they suck in my tire. I feel really, really good.” He paired the bottoms with YSL, Balmain and Louboutin pumps (natch).


Lipinski said her black-and-white Lanvin dress felt “extremely tight,” but like any fashionista would tell you, “you live through the pain.” And she added, “I’m a secret velvet lover, so I think this is really beautiful and classic.”


Look 3:


And finally, Weir went out of the fitting with a bang when he selected his final look of the day: a feathery red gown by Monique Lhuillier. “I just feel real pretty in tulle and feathers,” he said. “I’m hopeful that this will kind of intrigue America and they’ll be excited about what we’re going to do for Sunday.”


Lipinski, who felt like a “very pretty princess” in her feminine Oscar de la Renta ensemble, gushed, “A girl in tulle and a big skirt. What more can you ask for? This look was my favorite, by far. This was the most fun. They were all really gorgeous, but this one was my favorite.”


And Weir did not disagree. “I’m sold on everything about what she’s wearing now,” he said. “The tulle, the gold, it’s very her.”


So what would you most like to see them wear? How amazing are they? Cast your vote in the comments!


–Dahvi Shira






No comments:

Post a Comment