Love Boat Captain Gavin MacLeod Reveals Alcohol, Depression Battles in Autobiography




07/30/2013 at 12:40 PM EDT



Gavin MacLeod jauntily helmed The Love Boat for nine seasons, but the 82-year-old's upcoming autobiography, This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith & Life, reveals that his real life wasn't always quite so sunny and carefree.

Despite securing a spot in television history with his roles as Captain Merrill Stubing and Murray Slaughter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the book, out October 22, also chronicles darker times, which include a battle with depression and alcoholism. (He got sober in 1974.)


He suffered two heart attacks and watched two marriages crumble, only to remarry second wife Patti Steele. These days, he's happily steered his life into calm and happy waters through his deep faith.


"I've gotten to do what I wanted to do. I've been a captain!" MacLeod writes. "I've been given this incredible gift of life and now I want to use it to give back. That's why I'm sharing my story here, the fun parts and even some not-so-fun parts, in the hopes that maybe someone will take a nice walk down memory lane with me – and maybe I'll even give someone a little bit of hope."






No comments:

Post a Comment