See Ellen Barkin's New Unretouched Photo Shoot



08/27/2014 at 07:31 PM ET




Ellen Barkin is embracing her age, and to prove it, the 60-year-old (you read that right) actress forgoes all airbrushing for Violet Grey‘s online magazine, The Violet Files . And no tricks of the lighting here either: the star gets up close and personal with the camera.


Ellen Barkin Violet Grey magazineCedric Buchet


Even more impressive? Barkin sat for a super-short pixie cut on set with celeb-loved Hollywood stylist Serge Normant. She’s had a short coif for aw while, but she went for a true pixie to send a message: “As women age, they start hiding their faces more with their hair. So the bangs get longer and you see like this much of their face. I am taking everything off of my face, and I am going to say: This is what it looks like, nothing is hidden, you can see my forehead, my jawline, my neck, this is it. And ladies, it’s not so bad.”


Ellen Barkin Violet Grey magazineCedric Buchet


In the black-and-white photos, the star chomps down on a burger, poses with young male models and dons a robe and towel for a series of very intimate shots, all of which are completely true to life.


“I feel strongly about retouching,” she says in her interview. “I looked at those pictures, and I knew they expected, like, seven ‘Xes’ to come back on the bags under my eyes or the lines around my mouth or my neck but I thought we could do something special here. Those pictures with the dark circles under my eyes are exactly what I look like.”


What do you think of the shoot? Do you agree with Barkin’s photoshop philosophy? Share your thoughts below.


–Brittany Talarico






No comments:

Post a Comment