In His Own Words: George Clooney on Love, Marriage and Amal Alamuddin


George Clooney on Amal Alamuddin, Love and Marriage


Amal Alamuddin and George Clooney


Rachel Murray/Getty






09/28/2014 AT 08:10 PM EDT



Long known as Hollywood's most eligible bachelor, George Clooney is officially off the market after marrying Amal Alamuddin this weekend. In honor of his big day, PEOPLE looked back at what he's said about love, marriage, kids and – of course – his bride.

On what he finds attractive in a woman: "All different types over the years," he told PEOPLE in an exclusive interview when he was named Sexiest Man Alive in 2006". "Everybody says this, but I'd bet sense of humor is no. 1 for me. It's certainly what's most attractive and the first thing you notice about someone. It's not the first thing you notice at 21, but it's the first thing you notice now. You also have to have a sense of humor about my life. ... It certainly has had an effect on relationships, but I would bet less effect than my own issues or insecurities. You can't really blame outside forces for things not working out. You have to take some responsibility."


On dating: "It's not that I lead this oblivious life where I think I've got such a great personality that people want to spend time with me," he told The Guardian in 2002. "If someone has a poster of you or asks for your autograph, clearly you can't take them out on a date. It's not that interesting if someone is just interested in you."


On his childhood crushes: "When I was a kid, I was in love with Audrey Hepburn," Clooney told W magazine in 2013. "I watched Roman Holiday when I was 11, and I thought she was as elegant as anything I’d ever seen. And I fell madly in love with her. I also always loved Grace Kelly. I mean, when she comes out of the water in To Catch a Thief, I thought, 'That’s the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen.' "


On whether he'll ever have children: "I think it's the most responsible thing you can do, to have kids," Clooney told PEOPLE in 2006. "I think it's the biggest responsibility you'll have, and it's not something to be taken lightly. I don't have that thing in me that says, 'must do it'. I don't see myself ever having kids. But everything in my life has changed over periods of time ... and the world does change."


On his big fear: "My worst nightmare is being one of those old Lotharios," he told The Guardian in 2002. "I was in a bar a month ago with my friend Waldo and I looked over to him at one point and said, "You know we've become those 40-year-old guys that we used to look at and say, 'Isn't it sad?' Don't let me be that guy."


On Amal: "I met my lovely bride to be here in Italy, whom I will be marrying, in a couple of weeks, in Venice of all places," Clooney said at Celebrity Fight Night on Sept. 6 in Venice. "I would just like to say to my bride to be, Amal, that I love you very much and I can't wait to be your husband."


In His Own Words: George Clooney on Love, Marriage and Amal Alamuddin| Couples, Marriage, Wedding, Amal Alamuddin, George Clooney

PEOPLE.com Illustration By Debra Cartwright








No comments:

Post a Comment