John Mayer: Why He Won't Sing His Hits




08/29/2013 at 03:20 PM EDT




John Mayer: Why He Won't Sing His Hits


John Mayer


Paul Martinka/Splash News Online



Anyone hoping to hear "Why Georgia" and other throwback tunes during John Mayer's latest tour should probably adjust their expectations.

"[My voice is] coming back and it will come back all the way to where it was. All the early stuff, I can't do that full voice right now," the musician – who's still recovering from two surgeries on his vocal cords – tells TIME.com as part of their 10 Questions series.


"Born and Raised and Paradise Valley stem from this inability to sing higher."


Having less range on his most recent albums doesn't bother Mayer – in fact, not much does these days.


"I'm not worried anymore, period. I'm not worried about pop hits, I'm not worried about sales, relevance," he says. "I care about one thing: tell your story. If you're on your sixth record and you're 35, you should be following wherever the road takes you. I want this story to unfold onstage now – records are the fuel for a concert."


Still, that doesn't mean the guitarist can't enjoy a good cake – Mayer shared a photo celebrating Paradise Valley's second-place chart debut on Wednesday.






No comments:

Post a Comment