Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Comes Out as Gay


Tim Cook, Apple CEO, Comes Out


Tim Cook


China Daily/Reuters/Landov





10/30/2014 AT 07:50 AM EDT



Apple CEO Tim Cook says he's proud to be gay.

In an essay written for an essay written for Bloomberg Businessweek , Cook says that while he never denied his sexuality, he never publicly acknowledged it, either.


"For years, I've been open with many people about my sexual orientation," he writes. "Plenty of colleagues at Apple know I'm gay, and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the way they treat me. Of course, I've had the good fortune to work at a company that loves creativity and innovation and knows it can only flourish when you embrace people's differences. Not everyone is so lucky."


Cook wrote in the column published Thursday that it wasn't an easy choice to publicly disclose that he is gay but felt that his declaration could potentially help others.


Writes Cook: "I've come to realize that my desire for personal privacy has been holding me back from doing something more important. That's what has led me to today."


The executive said he will continue to focus on being the best CEO he can be and will personally continue to advocate for equality for all people.






No comments:

Post a Comment