Find Out Why Lupita Nyong'o Shaved Her Head (and More Beauty Secrets from the Star)


10/10/2014 at 11:22 AM ET




When PEOPLE’s Most Beautiful woman shares her hair, makeup or skincare tips, we immediately sit up and pay attention. So when she recently opened up to Redbook mag about her beauty routine, we got out our highlighters — and then had to share them with you.


Michael Buckner/Getty


She didn’t always feel Most Beautiful.

“As a teen, my hair caused me so much anxiety. When I wasn’t happy with how my hair looked, I’d spend recess in the bathroom because I was so embarrassed.”


Cutting her hair was nerve-wracking — but now she loves how easy it is.

“It wasn’t on a whim. I spent days thinking about it first. Once I did it, it was very liberating, but I also felt very naked. When you feel the wind on your scalp, it’s like, Oh, my God. But I’ve kept my hair short ever since.”


She uses edible skin care! (And some non-food treatments too.)

“My skin tends to be very dry, so I use avocado oil to take off my makeup, which helps keep my face moisturized. Then I use a light cleanser, eye cream, and Lancôme Génifique serum [she's the face of the brand], which I love because you can dab it on top of makeup too.”


RELATED PHOTOS: Check out our fave Lupita looks here!


She never considered herself a beauty or style rulebreaker.

“Well, I hadn’t been on any red carpets before, so I didn’t know what the rules were. I just gravitate toward what I like. My makeup artist, Nick Barose, has grown my confidence in playing with color. He’s gotten me to wear some pink lipcolors that I would have never picked out on my own.”


Her everyday makeup look is simply chic.

“I’ll do defined brows and natural eyeshadow, then I put on a plum blush, which gives my cheeks a healthy look. On dark skin, it’s easy for blush to be too obvious. And I love lip balm because you can just grab it and go.”


Have you tried avocado oil as a makeup remover? Which of Lupita’s tips would you try? Tell us in the comments below!


–Loni Venti






No comments:

Post a Comment