Victoria's Secret Model Sam Sampaio Addresses Body-Shaming Bullies


11/18/2014 at 09:00 AM ET




Models have insecurities too. Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated star Sara Sampaio wanted to remind her Instagram followers of that, posting an emotional message on her feed to speak out against body-shaming commenters. But Sampaio’s thoughts are being viewed by some as hypocritical.


Sara Sampaio Victoria's SecretCourtesy Sara Sampaio


“I’m proud of my body and I’m not gonna let any of you bully me just because I’m skinny! Every body is different, and every metabolism is different,” she shared along with the above bikini selfie on Instagram.


She continued to defend her weight and diet, adding, “I eat a lot, so next time u decide to tell me to eat a burger remember I probably eat more burgers than you, I’ve always been skinnier, and probably will always be, I workout, I’m healthy and I’m happy.”


Sampaio also explained that she hopes to end the stereotype that models don’t eat, and wants to promote a message about healthy body image to her fans. “The amount of hate I see thrown at me and to other model friends that I know are naturally skinny it’s ridiculous! U don’t see us shaming other types of bodies so please don’t come and shame ours! Be happy with ur body and stop shaming others! Whether they are skinny, fat, fit, with big boobs, small boobs etc! Don’t share hate! Be happy ☺️😊❤️😎”


RELATED: Does Old Navy Have a Plus-Size Double Standard


So what’s the controversy? A few days after she shared her view, Victoria’s Secret posted a video of Sampaio (as part of their promotional roll out for the upcoming fashion show) talking about how she wishes her body was more like fellow Angel, Candice Swanepoel.


“If I put up a picture of Candice, I’m like I want to have that body,” she shares in the clip below, contradicting her previous message. “But not in a million years am I gonna have that body, because my bone structure isn’t built like her.”


What do you think of Sampaio’s Instagram rant? Do you agree? Do you think it’s hypocritical of her in light of her comments about Candice? Share your thoughts below.


–Brittany Talarico






No comments:

Post a Comment